St. Andrews Presbyterian Church
Panama City, Florida
OUR PROUD HISTORY
Bay County’s oldest church was organized as the First Presbyterian Church of St. Andrews on September 13, 1886 at the home of Mr. Hiram M. Mapes. The church was comprised of 16 members and the first pastor was E. H. Post, grandfather of Richard Post, a long-time teacher at Jinks Junior High School. On January 15, 1888, members met to elect a Board of Trustees. At this time steps were taken to raise funds with which to purchase a lot and construct a church building. This work was completed on July 22, 1888. The original bell, now a landmark, is still used today ringing out “come-to-church” to announce that Sunday worship service is about to begin.
On June 8, 1917, the church building was moved from the location at the corner of Drake Street and Lorraine Ave. (now 14th St.) to 14th Street and Bayview Ave. In 1936, Sunday School classrooms were added to the original church building.
A Boy Scout building was constructed in 1945.Two lots on Beck Ave. were purchased in 1946 and the present sanctuary was built on these lots in 1949. The current Educational Building was completed in 1957. The original wooden church building was moved elsewhere. The beautiful stained glass windows were installed in the sanctuary in 1999. Renovations to the sanctuary and Fellowship Hall as well as a new connector building were completed in 2008.
St. Andrews has faithfully served members, friends and the community for over 127 years with a mission to
love and serve God. This is a brief history of building and development but also a history of Christian Life with bible study, weddings, baptisms, family and worship.
Click on photos to enlarge.